Stark & Stark’s Healthcare and Medical leasing Group assists owners, developers, and tenants with the latest healthcare and medical leasing uses.
Whether the premises is a wellness center, like a gym, boxing facility, or yoga studio; outpatient facility for non-acute medical issues or recovery; physician’s practice, such as a dentist, pediatrics, or specialty; diagnostics facility for blood drawing and other samples; or physical therapy; we can assist with the leasing and related issues.
Questions to Consider During the Medical Leasing Process
The following are some questions and issues to consider:
- Build Outs – Who pays for improvements? Who owns what? Can you have tenant pay for ADA compliance?
- Parking – What is traffic flow? Are there designated spaces? What are the number of spots?
- Use – What are the restrictions? Are there issues with co-tenancies? What about medical privileges?
- Default and Removal of Tenant – How do you get their “stuff” out (expensive, liened, dangerous, or difficult to move)?
- Protecting Landlords – Bigger security deposit/bond?
- HIPAA – Do you have a tenant record person to contact? Do you ensure that tenant representative is with your agents when you need access? What types of security measures do you have?
- Trash – Do you want the tenant to provide their own janitorial due to medical waste? Does the tenant want trash to be excluded from CAM?
- Healthcare Referral Laws – How does Stark Law and Anti-Kickbacks affect the landlord?
While not a comprehensive list of questions, it is easy to see how complex the leasing process can become. One size does not fit all when it comes to leases, and our Medical Leasing Group understands the challenges and goals that you need to succeed.
With more than a dozen attorneys familiar with these specific medical leasing issues, Stark & Stark’s Medical Leasing team can provide the substantive and practical advice on your next medical leasing deal. Ensuring proper completion and compliance with requisite rule and regulations is essential.
Medical Use Tenancies on the Rise
Changing demographics and need for more convenient services have pushed medical use tenancies to a greater share of new leases. Baby Boomers are looking for doctors and health facilities closer to home, Gen Xers are raising children and need convenience with their healthcare issues, and Millennials are addressing their health needs through online and outpatient services.
Medical lease used to be just the old doctor’s office, but now it comprises so much more, including:
- Outpatient care;
- Diagnostics facilities, including radiology and phlebotomy;
- Wellness centers part of a yoga studio, boxing facility or gym;
- Physical therapy offices; and,
- Cryotherapy treatment centers.
For shopping center owners, medial leases can be traffic drivers and a key to success that enhances the shopping experience. On the commercial office side, the medical use can add to a solid tenant mix. Lastly, for single use, a medical tenant can provide valuable rents.
Contact a Healthcare and Medical Leasing Attorney
Our attorneys are actively involved in the shopping center, commercial, and retail development industry, holding leadership positions within a number of organizations. These industry groups provide us with insight and knowledge on the most up-to-date issues facing your project. Some of the organizations that our team members are involved include:
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- International Franchise Association (IFA)
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- New Jersey Builders Association (NJBA)
Let Stark & Stark’s Medical Leasing Group assist you on your next deal.Click here to contact a lawyer