It is a tragic and horrifying fact that the color of one’s skin can be the difference between living and dying in America. Black and brown Americans continue to experience extreme injustice, fear, and pain that most other Americans will never feel. While the battle against racism is hard, there is no fight that is more urgent. As leaders and members of the community, we cannot and will not be casual observers of injustice.
Every person in this country has the right to feel safe, and anything less is a failure. We encourage everyone to stand up against racial injustice. There is power in words, but far greater power in our concrete actions.
We pledge together to:
- Contribute pro bono time to support our community;
- Collaborate with community groups and minority bar associations to review use of force policies to ensure practices taught to officers are up to date and implemented;
- Facilitate honest conversations to create a stronger understanding of one another;
- Promote training for our employees and community on their rights;
- Always continue to seek new opportunities to make a difference; and
- Hold each other accountable and be the change we need to see.
Inclusion, equality, and justice are core principles of our Firm and we will stand strong together to build a more just world. The time is now to encourage meaningful conversations and implement purposeful and intentional actions. Silence is not an option, and it is not a part of the solution. If we remain quiet, then we are complicit.