By: Carin A. O’Donnell. Esq.
A lot of motorcycle riders like to be involved in other outdoor activities during the winter when riding isn’t so convenient. The winter season is quickly approaching and some of will be involved in other types of activities, such as snowmobiling, skiing and snowboarding.
While most of us know the importance of wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle, it is as equally important for us, and your children, to use a helmet when participating in other activities.
By way of suggestion, before selecting a helmet for your child or yourself for the activities mentioned above you should consider a few things.
- Make sure the helmet is safe: a helmet used for these sports should have one or more of these labels: ASTM, CEN or Snell Memorial Foundation.
- Select a helmet designed for the sport – a helmet used for skiing and snowboarding provides more protection against impact then a bicycle helmet.
- Choose bright colors – they are more visible on the slopes at night, which will help you spot your child
- Buy a helmet that fits now – make sure the helmet can’t move back and forth or side to side.
- Get a good pair of goggles, and take them with you when you go to buy your helmet. Make sure the goggles fit with the helmet so your vision does not become blocked.
At Stark & Stark, The Riders Lawyers not only want to make sure you are safe riding your motorcycle, but in any activity that involves a risk of head injury. Please make sure you, your kids and your family wear helmet this winter season.