David R. Cohen is a Shareholder in Stark & Stark’s Accident & Personal Injury Group and Chair of the firm’s Nursing Home Litigation Group. Mr. Cohen concentrates his practice in nursing home negligence and abuse claims, elder abuse and assisted living facility litigation.
Mr. Cohen is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney. Mr. Cohen is a past chair of the American Association for Justice’s Nursing Home Litigation Group and a frequent lecturer and writer throughout the country on litigating nursing home abuse cases. Mr. Cohen is a former member of the Minority Concerns Committee of Mercer County Vicinage.
Cohen has served as faculty for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) on Nursing Home Malpractice in New Jersey every year from 2001 through 2012. He also lectured on this topic at The College of New Jersey, the National Business Institute (NBI). Mr. Cohen has also lectured extensively on attorney review of medical records for NBI, American Association for Justice, New Jersey Association for Justice and the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. He has guest lectured at Rutgers University, State College of New Jersey, Rider University and served as advisor for the Hunter Advanced Moot Court Team. His recent lectures to attorneys on protecting the rights of institutional healthcare residents have taken him to San Francisco, Washington D.C., Las Vegas, Vancouver, New York, Tennessee, Washington State and many other parts of the country.
Mr. Cohen was co-counsel for the Estate of Mary Dwyer v. Harborview, et al., a 7-week trial that resulted in a $13.2 million verdict – the largest nursing home verdict in New Jersey.
Cohen has authored numerous articles, editorials, educational papers and has been published in the seminal text on Nursing Malpractice, by Patricia Iyer – in its Second Edition. Mr. Cohen is also the founder of the Nursing Home Law Blog, which provides readers with information on nursing home and assisted living care.
Mr. Cohen has authored faculty papers for multiple national and local seminars. Cohen was a co-host and moderator of the weekly radio/television show In the Public Interest for thirteen years. Community involvement includes past service as a leader in the Explorer’s Post of the George Washington Council, Boy Scouts of America.
Mr. Cohen is also a frequent contributor to the Nursing Home Law Blog. You can read Mr. Cohen’s most recent blog post here.
- Faculty member of Professional Education Systems Institute, LLC for New York and New Jersey seminar series: Nursing Home Negligence – Asserting Claims & Defending Nursing Home
- Frequent faculty member of New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education for Nursing Home Litigation seminars
- Contributing author of educational materials for attorneys concerning Nursing Home Litigation
- Frequent lecturer on Nursing Home Litigation for National Business Institute
- Guest lecturer of the College of New Jersey on the Issue of Victim’s Rights and Injuries Suffered by the Elderly.
- Former Public Education Chairperson of the Mercer County Bar Association
- Former host and current contributor to the television/radio program, In The Public Interest
- Education Co-Chair for the New Jersey Association for Justice Educational Presentations